Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Poetry Journals: Making them Matter (August/September Edition)

It's July, it's beautiful outside...I should be lounging at the pool (my favorite summer activity); however, here I am...writing a well over due blog. It's hot and my head is screaming...so here I am :)


I've gotten some emails requesting my daily schedule, pacing, and new standards. I am not ignoring you, I promise! My daily schedule changes each year due to our specials. I love having specials, but it does make my schedule a bit chaotic. Our Kindergarten program is "extended day" which means our kiddos are there from 8:05-1:30, our specials include...3 days of PE (30min), 1 day of Music (30min), 1 day of Art (30min), 1 day of Library (30min), 1 day of Computer (35 min), and 1 day of Learning Center (2 30min sessions). So, my schedule is as routine based as I can get it, but as I said it will change for next year. Here is the link to the post from last year http://kinder-pond.blogspot.com/2011_02_01_archive.html. Our school is in the process of making sure the new Core Standards are included and paced out correctly. Once I have them, I will post them!


I have begun to pace out the Poetry Journals. In this edition you will find the poems for the last week of August 2011 and all the poems for September. I have the new page listed first, followed by a picture of the center poster (if I have one), and lastly the old journal pages. I hope you can find something to use for your classroom! 


Enjoy!
Shannon


All documents contain fonts that are copyright DJ Inkers. Virtually all documents contain graphics that are copyright DJ Inkers. They are used with permission. Please visit http://www.djinkers.com/, for wonderful clipart and fonts.


All of my Poetry Journals can now be found on TPT, as well.
Poetry Journals for the Primary Classroom Poetry Journals for the Primary Classroom: Emergent Reader
ABC Rap


ABC Rap

Shape Song


The Shape Song

A-P-P-L-E

Apple

Apple Tree

Apple Tree

Little Miss Muffet

Little Miss Muffet

25 comments:

  1. Thanks for the freebies.
    I posted a book for The Shape Song and added two verses for trapezoid and hexagon =) If you want to check it out.

    Kinder Kraziness

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing Shannon! I am so excited to start using poetry journals in my kindergarten this coming school year. I'd love to hear how you plan to use them with your students. Will the whole journal go home for homework or will you add the page to the journal once it comes back to school? I'm just curious.
    Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing with us! I echo Kari's question about how you use them with your students! I love your blog...now get out to the pool and start lounging!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it! Thanks for sharing with us! I agree with megandw - get out and RELAX! ; )

    http://mssolanoskindergarten.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much for the freebies! I love the homework ideas. We will be using these. AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Shannon, thank you! I want to add poetry to our curriculum this year.

    ReadWriteSing

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much! I'm going to start making these posters. I always make booklets for songs and fumble trying to turn the pages quickly during singing:( I don't know why I didn't think about making posters! I'm excited for the posters to be used by the kids during literacy stations too! Love your site.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just found your blog and became a follower!! These are awesome ways to work with poetry. I love poetry books!! I have never tried the posters, I have a SMARTBoard now and put them on my board for the kids to see bigger. We are posting next week about poetry booklets!!
    BusyBees

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for your freebies!!! I can't wait to use them next year!!! I was just wondering if you had homework for the Apples poem? That was the only poem that didn't have homework. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love love love these! Thanks for posting them! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for sharing your ideas! Poetry Journals have been apart of my classroom for sometime now. I like your layout for the journals. I am looking forward to the change!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your idea!!! Thank you so much for being generous!!

    Mireya
    yayaagu@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Shannon,
    I love this! I was going to do poetry journals this year in my 1st grade class but was just moved to K and wasn't sure it would work. I would lvoe to hear more about how you implement this!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for sharing these! We have done poetry books for a long time but I love the homework part of this. Can you explain more about how you manage this? THANKS!
    tjulch@mpsomaha.org

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you for sharing! Quick question, with your new version that has the homework, do the kids illistrate in the box or do the homework part in the box? Do they just get the new version or does the old black and white go in their folder for them to color?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hello all!
    The students will illustrate in the box in class. The homework portion will go on the back of poem. Students take their folder home on Thursday and return them on Monday's. If you look at the post of User's Guide, there is more info in that.

    Students will get the new version. I included the old black and white in case anyone wanted it. The color version goes into a binder that is on the reading shelf.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Excellent way to start my Sunday morning - tooling around your blog and finding goodies - thanks sooooo mcuh for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you so much for sharing all of your poetry journal materials! They are very cute and will be great to use in my kindergarten room this year. I appreciate you taking the time to share with us all. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you for sharing all your wonderful resources!

    ReplyDelete
  20. WOWie WOW WOW! Thanks soo much!! LOVE the Shape Song and the ABC Rap! Thanks for sharing!!
    Sarah Hetrick

    ReplyDelete
  21. I am amazed at your wonderful creations!! You have an awesome gift for creating. I wanted to say thank you for putting these on your blog for all of us who cannot create!! I appreciate your thoughtfulness in sharing them at no charge!! You are definitely given credit at my school when asked "Where did you get that?" Again thank you for sharing your wonderful creations!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love your website!!! It's great and I am so glad I came across it!! I plan on using your poetry journals this year!! I think my kids will love them!! Thanks for all the things that you share!! YOU ARE AWESOME!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks for all you hard work and time creating and downloading all of your wonderful ideas. I can't wait to use them in my classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I wanted to visit and allow you to know how great I treasured discovering your web site today. We would consider it an honor to do things at my office and be able to operate on the tips discussed on your blog and also get involved in visitors’ responses like this. Should a position regarding guest author become available at your end, you should let me know.


    computer store

    ReplyDelete