Monday, August 8, 2011

Scary Dreams and New Things

A special thanks for all the comments and emails! You have no idea how nice it was to hear from you all! Most of that post was directed at my some of my co-workers...some things will never change.


**A correction- The Chicka Chicka Boom Boom download didn't include the letter z. I've made the correction and just in case you missed it, here is the corrected download. My apologies!

All documents contain fonts that are copyright DJ Inkers. Virtually all documents contain graphics that are copyright DJ Inkers. They are used with permission. Please visit http://www.djinkers.com/, for wonderful clipart and fonts.
Chicka Chicka Boom Boom

And, so it begins...well, it actually began a few weeks ago...the scary dreams about school. I don't think I know any teacher who isn't plagued with dreams of school in August. This year my dreams seems to be focused on one thing...who am I getting?? I work in a district that doesn't do any screening for incoming Kindergartners...scary, huh? But, the balance is usually that we know many families that are coming in and requesting us as teachers and we have some coming up from our Pre-K program. So, my first dream was that my principal decided to put all the "new to district" families in my room. It ended with over half of my kids having behavior IEP's and me without an assistant, yikes! 


I took my trip to Lakeshore Learning, and I am thanking the Dear Lord that I had lots o'gift cards! I got some new center stuff, to be placed on shelves that lack any amount of space! I also ordered a few books and a new timer. I am debating buying one of those cubby shelves from Target, but I am pretty sure I don't have space. Maybe I'll get rid of my desk...a girl can dream, can't she! Here are some of my new purchases...







 I also dropped off a HUGE laminating order at the local store...that's right, I pay for laminating! We have a laminator at school, but it's the flimsy stuff. The store I go to is nice and thick with the added bonus of...they CUT it ALL for me!!!! Priceless. I made a new Behavior Clip Chart...inspired by many blogs. I hope that it works for my Hoppers this year! I will post a pic once it's done laminating. Here are two little things I made today while it rained. One is my Smartie Pill jar, way cuter than last year, although you can't really see the words very well! The other are containers for pencils.



 Now, many of you have asked me to share my schedule with you, so here you have it folks...PURE CHAOS!
Lesson Plan Template 2011-2012


The other thing that many of you have asked about is how I handle Homework in my classroom. I send out a Homework Calendar packet each month. The packet contains Homelinks from Everyday Math, practice papers from Zaner Bloser handwriting, as well as miscellaneous things that I add. I am not sure if you will be able to use them or not. I've uploaded the Homework Guidelines that I include in my Parent Packet for Orientation day. It includes directions to the parents. I have also uploaded the September calendar (without the Homelinks or Zaner Bloser handouts b/c they are copyrighted materials), if people want more uploaded, I will certainly upload all of them.
Homework Guidelines


September Homework Calendar


(September )Letters and Sounds Go Fish

Now I will leave you with two pictures of my baby... my Thundercat, named Liono Baggins. He is a 21 pound orange and white, Tabby/Siamese cat. He is ginormous and very vocal.
One loud clap of thunder and suddenly he is a small, timid Scaredy Cat that hides in tiny spaces.


Thanks for reading!
Shannon

21 comments:

  1. So many great ideas...so little time left before school starts!!

    Quench Your First

    ReplyDelete
  2. School dreams...I've had them! Nothing too scary, but totally random and so impossible. Haha!! Thanks for sharing all of this great information!

    Kari :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Elephant and Piggie- they are on my wish list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing!!! Love where your "Thundercat" hides!! LOL!!

    ❤Mrs. McKown
    Little Literacy Learners

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahh... the scary dreams. I call them "schoolmares" :) Thanks for all the great stuff!
    ~Samantha Kindergarten Creativity

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Smartie jar is so cute :)

    Megan

    internteachertales.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the smartie jar--too cute! I'm also looking for more storage, but in reality probably don't have the room :( I was looking at IKEA but I didn't know Target sold cubbies--which ones were you looking at? I went on their website but couldn't find any. Thanks! (I know you're busy) and a BIG thank you for all the creative items you share :)

    http://thefantasticfrogs.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have school dreams too, I'm so glad I am not the only one! I was wondering if you have any more info on your monthly family projects. I did it last year but would like more focus or purpose to each one, like a writing focus, math etc.
    Thanks,

    Annie
    annie.katorosz@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. What program do you use to create your schedule? I would love to know! The Smartie Jar is a cute idea! How creative with the pencil buckets! :)

    kinderkats.blogspot.com

    Jodi

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for sharing, Shannon. You always have such great ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Shannon I love your posts! They are so inspiring so thank you. I am wondering do you have any earlier posts with a fall or leaves theme? I am trying to make all of my literacy centers try to be theme based this year and I don't seem to have anything for fall yet. We do apples in September, but I could possible stretch them into the fall in need be because I saw some of your cute apple activities.
    Thanks,
    Chelsea
    cdaigneault88@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Shannon,

    I love, love, love the smartie pill jar! I might have to "borrow" that idea ;) I, too, have begun the sleepless nights, the tossing and turning, and the down-right ridiculous dreams/nightmares! We don't start with our kiddos until the 22nd, so I've been working on getting my room ready and cleaning out some of the old. I need to get in gear with my plans though, too!

    I use a parent questionnaire each year to help me get to know the kids through the parents eyes...and I thought I would email it to you. I'm sure you already have all that you need (being the AMAZING teacher that you are), but I thought I would share! :)

    Thanks again for all that you do! Best of luck for the upcoming school year!

    Sincerely,
    Amy
    amy.j.cohan@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. I also love the smartie jar! Only a kindergarten teacher would unwrap all those smarties!!
    Thanks for sharing your homework calendar and ideas. I started doing a homework calendar last year and am looking forward to having it done for this year. I may have to make a few changes...I like how you keep some of the homework the same (Thurs are always this...).
    Enjoy your new purchases and getting ready for the new year!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the pencil buckets! I teach EIP ESOL kindergarten and they need good visuals. I have been looking for good clipart for sharp and dull pencils but actual pencils are genius! They are also *adorable* We did your Brown Bear book today and the kids loved it! Thanks for all you share! Megan

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for the CCBB activity & all the other resources. We are thinking of switching to monthly homework so I'll definitely be looking back at this post as we start planning!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you once again for all of the helpful ideas! I can't wait to try them out this year :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Loving the pencils on your dull/sharp buckets. I've been looking for large pencil stickers to put on my buckets (planning to cut off one of the "lead"points) to put on my buckets! Your idea is soooo much better!

    How about them apples?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Shannon--just thought I'd let you know that I put a link to your blog on my latest post. My blog is only teeny-tiny (and barely a month old), but just thought you'd want to know! :)

    Liesl
    http://wildworldofkindergarten.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  19. So excited to discover your blog ...one of the best I have seen! Thank you for sharing ... bought several of your TpT items.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Shannon,
    I AM SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO HAPPY TO HEAR THAT YOU ARE PREGNANT!!!!!I know from reading your blogs and your loss last year. I was so sad for you and prayed that you would get pregnant!! I know I don't know you but I believe that some women are MEANT to be mothers. There is no way God would not bless you with that gift. I am sooo happy for you! Enjoy this AMAZING time in your life!!!!
    Lot of Love,
    Meredith
    p.s.-I am so thankful for all that you share! xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete