Wednesday, February 9, 2011

These are the People in Your Neighborhood...

I am back :). I had a wonderful time in Mexico! The bitter cold was not a great arrival but hopefully, spring will be here before we all know it! As promised here is a small Community Helper Unit. I hope you enjoy!


Shannon

All documents contain fonts that are copyright DJ Inkers. Virtually all documents contain graphics that are copyright DJ Inkers. They are used with permission. Please visit http://www.djinkers.com/, for wonderful clipart and fonts.

Books
        


Looking for all the printables below? They are available in one easy to download file on TPT for $2.75, just click the pic below...
Kindergarten Hoppenings {Community Helpers Blog Favorites}




Literacy Activities
Most of the activities are self explanatory. Let me know if you have any questions :)
Police Badge Ending Sound Sort


People in My Neighborhood Journal

For this matching game, students need to say the name of the picture and find all the words that rhyme/belong to that word family.
Mail Word Family Matching Game

For the Find the Sound Game, I plan on hot gluing the fairies to clothespins. Students need to chop up the picture into its' corresponding sounds. IE- the picture of the cat is chopped into c/a/t. The letter beneath the cat is /a/. Students need to clip the fairy to the first, middle, or last tooth...similar to Elkonin boxes.
Find the Sound Tooth Fairy Clip Cards

For some reason when you look at this document in Scribd, the Editing Checklist looks funky. I downloaded it and it looks great, so I'm not quite sure what's happening there!
When I grow up Journal Page

Math Activities
Missing Police Badge Number Worksheet


I also made a game/worksheet that students roll a dice and fill in the numbers; however, I can't remember who I got the idea from. The original game that someone had posted, I believe, was for a Gingerbread theme. If you know, send me a message and I will ask them if I can post it. Otherwise, I will just post the picture.

A Couple of Sorts
I laminate the Community Helper Sort pieces and put velcro on the back. We do the sort as a class on the flannel board and then I add it to the Flannel Board Center.
Community Helpers Sort


The Needs vs Wants Sort is one of my favorite activities. The students are so funny when we discuss the things they need! To complete...I give the students a 12x18 piece of construction paper. They fold it in half and draw a line down the center, then glue needs to one side and wants on the opposite side.
Needs vs Wants Sort

6 comments:

  1. I am so glad you had a great trip and are safely home! I could use some beach time myself as I look out my window at all the white stuff and temps in the negative. Thanks for sharing the community helper unit! It's great :D

    Jenea
    www.seedsofnoledge.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the great community helper unit! We are beginning this unit next week and it came at the perfect time! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are great ideas and activities! Thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh... I am sooo glad I found your blog! Great resources. Thank you for following me too! Awesome! Awesome! Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. this stuff is sooo cute!!!!! i am obsessed! thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am very excited to have found your blog. Thanks for the great ideas!

    ReplyDelete